Can I apply if I completed my bachelor’s degree/teacher education program in a country other than the U.S.?

Credits from foreign universities are accepted only if verified as comparable to degree(s) from an accredited university in the United States. Regretfully, the Hawaii Department of Education does not have the necessary reference materials or staff to evaluate transcripts from foreign institutions properly. For an evaluation of your foreign credential(s), please contact:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470, USA
Phone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411
E-mail: mailto:

ECE is a professional agency staffed with resources to assess the equivalency of foreign degree programs. You may also select a similar company from the following website: There is a fee for completion of such a report.

The evaluation of your foreign transcript(s) must indicate:

  • Comparability based on degree programs offered at accredited institutions in the United States.
  • Verification that the foreign institution is accredited.
  • Course-by-course evaluation.

Please send your application, evaluation, official transcripts, and other required documents to:

State of Hawaii
Department of Education
Office of Talent Management
Teacher Recruitment Unit
P.O. Box 2360
Honolulu, HI 96804

For further clarification, you may call 808-441-8444.